Saturday, June 28, 2008

Penang: A week in Review: Part2

Monday night after an OK day at work, I decided to try the buffet at the hotel restaurant. Each night there is a different theme buffet (one night is Louisiana Cajun, I think it’s best to avoid that cuisine this far from the bayou. The theme that night was Cantonese, the food was decent but not great.

The rest of my workweek was much the same, exercise in the morning, go to work around 9, and get back to my hotel around 7 or 8 then venture out to find food. Tuesday after work I went to Kapitan Restoran, an outdoor Indian food place that serves excellent curries with fresh naan. I had the chicken vindaloo with garlic naan, with fresh mango juice to drink and it was excellent. By Wednesday I was having MSG overload and decided to try to avoid it if possible. I spent Wednesday and Thursday night at the Chili’s which is conveniently located next to my hotel.


Penang - Nachos n' Rita

Friday night I was exhausted from the week, so I had dinner at a restaurant in the plaza next to my hotel called Manila's Place. The only thing worth mentioning there is that I picked up a Marie Claire magazine (Malaysia edition) and there was an interesting article about marriage and the modern Muslim woman. The article was stating that most women are afraid of marriage becaue they will need to give up their jobs, their life, to be a slave to their husband, even in the case where they dated for years before getting married. After marriage, husbands often expect the woman to take on the domestic role. The article stressed the need to marry someone that is a peer. In a "peer marriage" you can be friends as well and live with respect and equality.

No comments: