Friday, June 27, 2008

Penang: A week in Review: Part1

Suffice to say work has kept me sufficiently busy and I have neglected to update my blog since arriving in Malaysia. Here is a recap of my week…


I arrived in Malaysia on Sunday around noon. After getting to my hotel and unpacking I ventured next door to the Gurney Plaza mall to wander around for a bit. The mall is 7 stories and has many stores also found in the US (Guess, Esprit, Versace, Body Shop, etc) along with some Asian retail shops and eateries. Next I decided to go for a walk up Gurney, which is the street my hotel is on (aka, G Hotel).

I stumbled upon a new little café that wasn’t there the last time I was in Penang, called the Martini Café. I went inside and I was the only one in there except for a group of 3 people, who immediately asked me to come join them. They were a very friendly group, on holiday from Australia. When I say very friendly, I mean they had been drinking for several hours. The group consisted on a married 50-something couple (Brian & Jules) and Jules’ sister Sally (Sal). Over some Tiger beers on draft we chatted about US politics (they find Obama to be quite charming), the geography of Australia (did you know it was larger than the entire US?), world travel, and various other topics. Sal and I got along quite well, and were pleased that the music selections were relevant for both Australia and the US.
Malaysia Trip - June 2008 007

After happy hours, Sal and I grabbed a cab and headed to Nagore Street for some traditional Nyonya cuisine. It was a family owned restaurant called Baba Nyonya and we were the only ones in there other than their own family (about 10 people) having dinner. Needless to say it was very authentic and the food was quite good. We sampled about 6 different menu items.

No comments: